Sunday, June 26, 2011

Weight Loss?


Good day to you all. I have another artical from the Mayo Clinic and I have put their link here if you want to check the site yourself. This is a little long but interesting if you are considering a food lifestyle change.


Weight loss: Assess your readiness to change
Before you plunge into a weight-loss program, see if you're truly ready. And see what steps to take if you aren't ready yet.

By Mayo Clinic staff
Your weight-loss success depends in large part on your readiness to take on the challenge. If you jump in before you're ready, your weight-loss plan may buckle under the first challenge. Use these questions to assess your weight-loss readiness.

1. Are you motivated to make long-term lifestyle changes?
Successful weight loss depends on permanent lifestyle changes, such as eating healthy foods and exercising more. That could represent a significant departure from your current lifestyle. Be honest. Knowing that you need to make changes in your life and actually doing it are two different things. You may have to overhaul your diet so that you're eating more whole grains, fruits,
vegetables and low-fat dairy products, for example. You'll also need to find time to exercise for at least 30 minutes nearly every day of the week. Exercise is especially important to prevent regaining your lost weight.
Your motivation for undertaking these changes may be better health, improved appearance or just feeling better about yourself in general. As long as your motivation is a healthy one, it doesn't really matter what it is. Find your motivation and focus on it.

2. Have you addressed the big distractions in your life?
If you're dealing with major life events, such as marital problems, job stress, illness or financial worries, you may not want to add the challenge of overhauling your eating and exercise habits. Instead, consider giving your life a chance to calm down before you launch your weight-loss program.

3. Do you have a realistic picture of how much weight you'll lose and how quickly?
Achieving and maintaining a healthy weight is a lifelong process. Over the long term, it's best to aim for losing 1 to 2 pounds (0.5 to 1 kilogram) a week. To lose 1 to 2 pounds a week, you need to burn 500 to 1,000 calories more than you consume each day. You can do that through a low-calorie diet and regular physical activity or exercise.
Initially you might lose weight more quickly than that if you make significant changes — just be sure the changes are health supporting. Don't get discouraged if your rate of weight loss slows a bit after bigger initial losses.

4. Have you resolved any emotional issues connected to your weight?
Emotions and food are often intertwined. Anger, stress, grief and boredom can trigger emotional eating. And if you have a history of an eating disorder, weight loss can be even trickier. Start by identifying your emotional issues related to food so that you're prepared for the challenges. Talk to your doctor about what weight-loss options are best for you.


 5. Do you have support and accountability?
Any weight-loss program can be difficult. You may face moments of temptation or become disheartened. Having someone in your corner to offer encouragement can help. If you don't have friends or family you can rely on for positive help, consider joining a weight-loss support group.

If you want to keep your weight-loss efforts private, be prepared to be accountable to yourself with regular weigh-ins and a log of your diet and activity. You might also want to consider joining an online program or using a certified health coach.


So because this artical is so long I have decided to break it into two (2) parts. 

A liitle More about me:

Well I have talked about where I have been so lets talk turkey. I have been Obese for most of my life. Not just overweight but obese. There is a saying out there , used by most of these "weight guru's"; about being thin and feeling better than anything you can eat. I do not remember the exact saying right now. My question for the is, what if you don't remember what thin felt like? How do I know? Now don't get me wrong, I imagine that being thin or less would feel great. But there are a lot of us that "thin" is just another word [four letter at that] lol; in the dictionary. It is something we would like to be. Do you think people wouldn't like to go hiking, ride a plane without buying two tickets, or shop in a store that didn't start with "Big &Tall". Obesety is a "disease". If you are addicted to drugs or alcahol some people say well they had a hard life and need a little help or rehab. Those same people look at a heavy person and say they a just lazy. They need to exercise more. As you can read in the blog from June   what I think of the lazy statement. Ok enough of the soap box. sorry about that. Me I went to school in public school system all but one year. We had health class in the winter because it was to cold to go outside for activity and the gym got old fast. Lets face it we had a "coach" teaching us why and what we should eat and  God bless them for trying, But What we should have had was a dietician teach us right habits and bad habits. I am not saying this would have stopped the obesity crisis we are in now but it could have helped some people. Anyway I made the decision to drop out of school my Senior year. That was one of the wrost decisions I could have made. But I did regroup and get my GED and went on to college. I was studing for a secondary teaching certificate. But money was an issue and I never got to finsh that. But remember I believe God has a plan for us all. So from college at 21 I joined the US Army. Well I got my knee injured in Ft Benning and was given a discharge. I now know I got played there, I was told I could have a TDP or wait a few months and maybe get a medical discharge, and I would have to recycle into basic where I had just been injured anyway. Being young and not understanding the situation I chose the TDP. Which is a "Trainee Discharge Program". So I got out of the Army with an honorable discharge but no benefits for my injured knee. But life went on. ....  (more to come)

Stress reducers:
blogging
reading the bible
Sabbaths

Remember that everyone is different and what works for one person does not mean it will work for you. remember that especially with weight reduction.

May the Lord continue to Bless and Keep you all.

Tom



No comments:

Post a Comment